• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relinquishing maratial property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

melissa mazzola

I am a resident of North Carolina and my soon to be ex and myself
have reached an agreement about our maratial property out of court. My question is this. He has agreed that I can buy him out at a great deal. Is it legal and binding if a notary republic witnesses and stamps our divorce agreement and settlement out of court without the assistance of an attorney? Will this make it final when presented to and signed by a judge? Please contact me asap. Thanks:confused:

D

dorenephilpot

The function of a notary public is ONLY that he/she has been shown proof that the person signing the document IS the person signing the document. It's for identity and authenticity purposes only.

A notary is not giving it a stamp of approval as far as whether it's a document that meets all the legal requirements or is fair or complete or whatever.

You MUST go to a court and have it sign off on your agreement to do those things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">