• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Remove father off birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sabbie6b9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

hello my name is sabrina im 20 years old. im trying to find out what i need to do to remove a man off my birth certificate. the man on it is my mothers ex husband he is not my real father there is a dna test to prove that. i found my real father when i was 15 years old n im trying to put him on it. i know how to get my father on it if the father space was blank but its not so i need to get the paperwork to remove the man who is on it but everywhere i call they cant help me. plz can any of you help me in any way. im just trying to fix my birth certificate i have the paperwork to put my father on it but i need the paperwork to remove the man who it is on it. i have been trying for months now i dont know what exactly to do i know i need to see a judge but i need the paperwork and no one has helped me i have called everywhere i can. plz can anyone give me some infornation.

justalayman

You need to understand there can be a biological father and yet another man can be the legal father. While I don't agree with placing a legal father on a birth certificate, that is what we do. Somewhere along the line your legal father either accepted paternity or due to being married, the law said he was the father and nobody disputed that.

Being 20, I suspect it is too late to do anything about it now. If there is, it is up to your biological father to sue to establish paternity. Then, if he is successful, his name can be placed on the birth certificate.

ecmst12

If your biological father wants to adopt you as an adult, he can do that. You would need a lawyer to set it up. Beyond that, your legal father can't be changed. But now that you are an adult, your legal father has no real importance to anything. If you don't want to have anything to do with him or acknowledge him in your life, you don't have to. So it really shouldn't matter all that much to you. Your BC is only ever going to be looked at a few times in your life, most people will never see it and the ones who do won't care whether your legal father is your biological father or not.

sabbie6b9

You need to understand there can be a biological father and yet another man can be the legal father. While I don't agree with placing a legal father on a birth certificate, that is what we do. Somewhere along the line your legal father either accepted paternity or due to being married, the law said he was the father and nobody disputed that.

Being 20, I suspect it is too late to do anything about it now. If there is, it is up to your biological father to sue to establish paternity. Then, if he is successful, his name can be placed on the birth certificate.

thats just it, the second the man found out i wasnt his he left i never saw that man again. i know i can remove him people saw i can but they wont tell my what papers i need to file. my mother divorce the guy wen i was a baby n might my stepdad who raised me with a was 2 but he is not the man on my birth certificate. my mother gave the guys name which was hendrickson i changed my last name n now the want the guy off of my paper. it shouldnt be this hard im trying to get free legal help to see if that will work before paying someone to tell what papers i need to file.

justalayman

yes, it is that hard. This was started 20 years ago. You aren't going to change it with the stroke of a pen and good wishes.

i know i can remove him people saw i can but they wont tell my what papers i need to file.
No, you can't remove him.

sabbie6b9

If your biological father wants to adopt you as an adult, he can do that. You would need a lawyer to set it up. Beyond that, your legal father can't be changed. But now that you are an adult, your legal father has no real importance to anything. If you don't want to have anything to do with him or acknowledge him in your life, you don't have to. So it really shouldn't matter all that much to you. Your BC is only ever going to be looked at a few times in your life, most people will never see it and the ones who do won't care whether your legal father is your biological father or not.

i have been told by many people i can take the guy off. it matters to me i hate his name it still haunts me i want to be rid of it. my real father has every right to be on it. i am the one doing this i told my father i want him on it not the other way around i love my father to death i want to see his name on it i know how to put him on it if the father space was blank but its not

Silverplum

thats just it, the second the man found out i wasnt his he left i never saw that man again. i know i can remove him people saw i can but they wont tell my what papers i need to file. my mother divorce the guy wen i was a baby n might my stepdad who raised me with a was 2 but he is not the man on my birth certificate. my mother gave the guys name which was hendrickson i changed my last name n now the want the guy off of my paper. it shouldnt be this hard im trying to get free legal help to see if that will work before paying someone to tell what papers i need to file.
I can assure you that when you turn in paperwork for the court, it had better look a heckuva lot better than what you've posted here.

We don't care to try to decipher txt-spk. :rolleyes: And the court simply won't.

sabbie6b9

then I suggest you ask those people how to do it.

thats just it i tried the women said they have to start neutural n then i emails my family court n the reply said i will have to research that at the law library or talk to a attorny. i know i can do it i know it will be hard n yeah im typing is bad kuz im upset. im not asking for much im going to go thank for all the help it was wat i need crushed dreams

LdiJ

I am sorry but it just doesn't work the way that you think it works. Its not simply a question of filing papers. Its much more complicated than that and depends greatly on your state law or even the state law of the state where you were born. You may not be able to do what you want to do at all, but without an attorney its almost a hopeless cause. Does your biological father agree to be placed on your birth certificate? Is he completely on board with what you want to do?

Silverplum

thats just it i tried the women said they have to start neutural n then i emails my family court n the reply said i will have to research that at the law library or talk to a attorny. i know i can do it i know it will be hard n yeah im typing is bad kuz im upset. im not asking for much im going to go thank for all the help it was wat i need crushed dreams
The court will not care about your being "upset." :rolleyes:

Frankly, *I* don't care that you are upset. There is no reason to spell "because" as "kuz." Not even if you're "upset," little girl.

:rolleyes:

justalayman

first, if you are typing poorly because you are upset, I suggest you take a moment and calm yourself. Your writing is nearly indecipherable.

beyond that, again, whomever told you you could do it is going to have to explain it to you since nobody else appears to know how to do it. You might consider that when accepting the advice from the people that said you can do it. They say you can do it but don't know how. Multiple that would generally know how say you can't do it. Want to guess which is more dependable? You do not have the standing, or right, to dispute who is named father on your birth certificate. As I said, the man on there is considered your legal father. If he was duped, he would have standing to dispute the situation. If the biological father was not given the opportunity to be named father, he would have standing. I do not believe either could change the person named legal father at this late of a date.

You simply have no right to challenge who was named your legal father. For all you know, the naming of your legal father could be totally above board and correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">