• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Property in divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gustavosantos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I have just filed for divorce and my wife occupies a rental home , I have two step kids and i am trying to be nice, but she refuses to pay any bills at all whatsoever, my wife is very hostile, screams throws stuff etc. I moved out into my car but i am still paying the rent on the home (lease) which is in my name.

a) how can i get her to pay the bills?
b) can i force her out of the house after the divorce
c) Should i just break the lease and let whatever happens happens.
I am a nice guy and i am getting totally taking advantage of, i am constantly broke because of my wifes outrageous spending habits, her refusal to work etc.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I have just filed for divorce and my wife occupies a rental home , I have two step kids and i am trying to be nice, but she refuses to pay any bills at all whatsoever, my wife is very hostile, screams throws stuff etc. I moved out into my car but i am still paying the rent on the home (lease) which is in my name.

a) how can i get her to pay the bills?
b) can i force her out of the house after the divorce
c) Should i just break the lease and let whatever happens happens.
I am a nice guy and i am getting totally taking advantage of, i am constantly broke because of my wifes outrageous spending habits, her refusal to work etc.
a. Ask your attorney to file temporary orders which outline each of your responsibilities.

b. You can't, but neither can she. You can ask the court to order her to leave, but since that is the children's home, you have to justify it. If she asks for it and can demonstrate the ability to pay, she may get it.

c. You would ruin your own credit rating, not to mention getting in trouble with the court.

Of course, overriding all of this is the fact that your landlord is not a party to the divorce. If the lease is solely in your name, then you have a better chance of getting the place in the divorce. If it's in both of your names, it's going to be harder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">