• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Property owned prior to marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello, quick question regarding my divorce...

I have a rental property that I purchased with my brother prior to my marriage, brother does all the taxes on it and claims all profits or losses.

There is not much on the Profits side but would my ex be entitled to any of the rental profits?

Thanks

---Mike

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello, quick question regarding my divorce...

I have a rental property that I purchased with my brother prior to my marriage, brother does all the taxes on it and claims all profits or losses.

There is not much on the Profits side but would my ex be entitled to any of the rental profits?

Thanks

---Mike
Its premarital property and unless you are using marital funds to maintain it (and that does not sound like that is the case) then no, she would not be entitled to any of the profits, or the equity either.

Its premarital property and unless you are using marital funds to maintain it (and that does not sound like that is the case) then no, she would not be entitled to any of the profits, or the equity either.
That's correct, no marital funds were used to maintain the property..

Thanks...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">