• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repost, Legal rights to vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacquestk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?MD- Hi, we have a situation and are considering seeking help. I hope you can offer some legal advice. Not divorce but family related. My SIL has been evicted from her mothers house. She moved across states to live with her and after only one week was told to leave. she has no money and small children and is essentially homeless. The question is regarding a vehicle. Her mother had offered her a car but is now demanding the car be left to her. The vehicle is registered in both names, insured ONLY in my SILs name, and her moms name is on the title. She does not have a copy of the paperwork however states that the paperwork to change the title to her name has already been set to the Maine DMV but they have not heard back. Is she within her legal rights to drive the vehicle from MD back to Maine? Or could her mother seek legal action against her if she does this? She has no other way of getting back to Maine and renting a truck is beyond any of our means ($1200!). Thank you so much!

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?MD- Hi, we have a situation and are considering seeking help. I hope you can offer some legal advice. Not divorce but family related. My SIL has been evicted from her mothers house. She moved across states to live with her and after only one week was told to leave. she has no money and small children and is essentially homeless. The question is regarding a vehicle. Her mother had offered her a car but is now demanding the car be left to her. The vehicle is registered in both names, insured ONLY in my SILs name, and her moms name is on the title. She does not have a copy of the paperwork however states that the paperwork to change the title to her name has already been set to the Maine DMV but they have not heard back. Is she within her legal rights to drive the vehicle from MD back to Maine? Or could her mother seek legal action against her if she does this? She has no other way of getting back to Maine and renting a truck is beyond any of our means ($1200!). Thank you so much!
The fruit does not fall far from the tree.

Proserpina

If Mom is the only one on the title, the truck isn't your SIL's truck. What happened when she called Maine DMV?

Frankly her concern needs to be with her homeless children - what's she doing about that?

jacquestk

Yes, we are working on that. She is currently staying at our home in MD but it wont and cant be forever. She has friends and some other family in Maine who will be helping while she gets back on her feet. I did not post for that reason but thanks for your concern. I just need to know if she is within her right to drive home with this car or if her mom (my MIL who trust me, is truly all sorts of crazy) could report it as stolen. If you know, i am still trying to find the answer. Thanks.

LdiJ

It certainly sounds to me like she has every right to take the car, legally.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Her mother had offered her a car but is now demanding the car be left to her. The vehicle is registered in both names, insured ONLY in my SILs name, and her moms name is on the title. She does not have a copy of the paperwork however states that the paperwork to change the title to her name has already been set to the Maine DMV but they have not heard back.
All in the space of a week. DMV in MD must be more efficient than here. How could your SIL get the title changed by DMV in a state where she is not a resident?

I wouldn't advise her to take the car. Especially w/small children she will be transporting.

What about renting a car for her (vs a truck)? Why does she need a truck?

Bali Hai

All in the space of a week. DMV in MD must be more efficient than here. How could your SIL get the title changed by DMV in a state where she is not a resident?

I wouldn't advise her to take the car. Especially w/small children she will be transporting.

What about renting a car for her (vs a truck)? Why does she need a truck?
Why does a red neck need a truck??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">