• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Representing oneself and confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trueheart0923

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I'm representing myself on a final issue as I close out my marital settlement agreement obligations. Because I am not an attorney, I don't believe I'm bound by any confidentiality reqs. and at some point I'd like to remind opposing counsel of this .... he-he. My ex is using an attorney who is a typical A-hole who uses threats and leverage to try and better her position, but in this situation I hold the final nuclear weapon (information) and not her.

If I find that I can gain leverage by issuing a threat of my own (I would do so at the "right" point in time) such as speaking openly about what has taken place in the past, I think I can do so. There is a public web site for the community that blogs about such things, and it is quite the revealing site. What I know and could reveal could cause harm to the attorney's image, no question.

Comments?

Thanks

Silverplum

I'm representing myself on a final issue as I close out my marital settlement agreement obligations. Because I am not an attorney, I don't believe I'm bound by any confidentiality reqs. and at some point I'd like to remind opposing counsel of this .... he-he. My ex is using an attorney who is a typical A-hole who uses threats and leverage to try and better her position, but in this situation I hold the final nuclear weapon (information) and not her.

If I find that I can gain leverage by issuing a threat of my own (I would do so at the "right" point in time) such as speaking openly about what has taken place in the past, I think I can do so. There is a public web site for the community that blogs about such things, and it is quite the revealing site. What I know and could reveal could cause harm to the attorney's image, no question.

Comments?

Thanks
That's a bad idea.

Isis1

Comments?

Thanks

i cannot possible roll my eyes far back into my head enough to explain how STUPID this is.

confidentiality exist only between the client and the attorney.

the attorney is not the one to be concerned about. you're assuming the attorney has any shame in what you think you've found. you are the one that will end up looking stupid. because is has NOTHING to do with the actual matter at hand. which is your divorce.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Furthermore, it could lead to legal action against the OP by the attorney in question.

It's a stupendously bad idea.

trueheart0923

i cannot possible roll my eyes far back into my head enough to explain how STUPID this is.

confidentiality exist only between the client and the attorney.

the attorney is not the one to be concerned about. you're assuming the attorney has any shame in what you think you've found. you are the one that will end up looking stupid. because is has NOTHING to do with the actual matter at hand. which is your divorce.
And normally I would agree with all that you've said. Normally. There exists some extenuating circumstances in this one, where for the attorney to pursue her position on the current matter she is trying to conclude with me, she must take a position contrary to punishing a deserving perp in another matter in the immediate circle of players. For a former prosecutor to do so is hypocritical and exposes her as a potential sympathizer.

I have no ties to the attorney in any way. She has far less leverage on me than I have on her, and I'm using that. One last bit of leverage I have is that I can speak freely when I want, and she cannot. Reminding her of this at the right time is going to drive her crazy and piss her off, but she'll have no way of bringing any consequences.

Attorneys do not like situations where one side is representing themselves, especially when that other side has some strength of position and some balls to use it. Attorneys prefer the nice warm environment where they rack up $$$ together as their meters spin and their clients pay. Not happening here. I've got leverage on the B----!

Silverplum

And normally I would agree with all that you've said. Normally. There exists some extenuating circumstances in this one, where for the attorney to pursue her position on the current matter she is trying to conclude with me, she must take a position contrary to punishing a deserving perp in another matter in the immediate circle of players. For a former prosecutor to do so is hypocritical and exposes her as a potential sympathizer.

I have no ties to the attorney in any way. She has far less leverage on me than I have on her, and I'm using that. One last bit of leverage I have is that I can speak freely when I want, and she cannot. Reminding her of this at the right time is going to drive her crazy and piss her off, but she'll have no way of bringing any consequences.

Attorneys do not like situations where one side is representing themselves, especially when that other side has some strength of position and some balls to use it. Attorneys prefer the nice warm environment where they rack up $$$ together as their meters spin and their clients pay. Not happening here. I've got leverage on the B----!
This is why I'm not arguing with you. You've made up your mind.

Go, do as you please, and pay the consequences. Do not, under any circumstances, come crying to us afterward.

trueheart0923

This is why I'm not arguing with you. You've made up your mind.

Go, do as you please, and pay the consequences. Do not, under any circumstances, come crying to us afterward.
I do not and will not cry. I've analyzed the worst downside **************************** and I'm winning ..... because I have more leverage than the other side and I'm not afraid to use it.
If I didn't have the leverage, I'd be doing differently. I've gone through plenty of thought and positioning to get it, to realize I have it. Not always apparent to people, because they live in fear of the all knowing all leveraging "attorney".

What I'm really looking for is creative ways to make life even more miserable for the attorney, a proven prick who does not hesitate to make life miserable for others when she can do so and exact leverage. Turn about will achieve inner glow!

Zigner

I do not and will not cry. I've analyzed the worst downside **************************** and I'm winning ..... because I have more leverage than the other side and I'm not afraid to use it.
If I didn't have the leverage, I'd be doing differently. I've gone through plenty of thought and positioning to get it, to realize I have it. Not always apparent to people, because they live in fear of the all knowing all leveraging "attorney".

What I'm really looking for is creative ways to make life even more miserable for the attorney, a proven prick who does not hesitate to make life miserable for others when she can do so and exact leverage. Turn about will achieve inner glow!
Alrighty then :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Silverplum

Have a great time. You sound very excited. Yay for you.

Proserpina

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but if you have to resort to those types of shenanigans you quite clearly don't have as much of a case as you seem to believe and if you think for one second that you can somehow intimidate the attorney, you certainly do have a fool for a client.

Send us your ex's info please. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to help her. As it is, all we can do is congratulate her on finally getting rid of you. :cool:

tranquility

You apparently don't recognize the other side's attorney is not emotionally invested in this, right? You are not going to make his life miserable. I fail to understand what you know that others don't about the attorney. You might find the key is not if you have a duty of confidentiality, but if the facts are private.

trueheart0923

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but if you have to resort to those types of shenanigans you quite clearly don't have as much of a case as you seem to believe and if you think for one second that you can somehow intimidate the attorney, you certainly do have a fool for a client.

Send us your ex's info please. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to help her. As it is, all we can do is congratulate her on finally getting rid of you. :cool:
If anything, she is trying to hold on to me, not the other way around. I'm looking for a way to be totally done with the matter, I'm simply fed up with typical attorney posturing to constantly leverage and gain an unfair advantage. That I have a chance to return the favor or offset the challenge ..... I'm feeling good about that. My ex will have maxed out on the deal, as she apparently planned to do.

Zigner

If anything, she is trying to hold on to me, not the other way around. I'm looking for a way to be totally done with the matter, I'm simply fed up with typical attorney posturing to constantly leverage and gain an unfair advantage. That I have a chance to return the favor or offset the challenge ..... I'm feeling good about that. My ex will have maxed out on the deal, as she apparently planned to do.
It's business...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">