• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Request For Production Of Documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mauricetill

What is the name of your state? MD

I am going through the divorce process and my wife's lawyer is asking me for documentation that I don't have (currently deployed) it's in storage or just threw away (didn't keep stuff 5 years ago). She is asking for stuff from the last 3 to 5 years. I only keep documentation that is current for at least a year, like my mutual fund statement, I only have the last year of them, at my mom's.

The house or my car is not paid for so do I have to give titles, canceled checks, bank statements for the last 5 years or can they just subpoena them, because if not I will have to pay to get all that information from the institutions. I don't feel comfortable giving anything with my SSN and account numbers. Would I be wrong if I put refused, I don't have a problem giving the last year. What are they looking for, I am only in the military service.

mauricetill

Yes, just in case I have to come back to the states to go to court. If I do use the SSCRA would I still need to provide the documents when I come back once I finish my deployment. I guess I am trying to say what are my options..

F

fireboat1

Does the request say all ,or just what you have access to.I panicked when asked for that stuff too,my atty said just give what I had ,let them request what they NEED.Whats funny is,the wife had the same access to same docs. they wanted.Unless you got something she dont have access to ,give what you got and dont sweat the rest.If I knew then what I know now,I would have thrown away alot of stuff. They wanted old checks ,and statements. She had the access to it and filed it when we were married. My atty.copied all of it at my cost obviously and none of it was needed. Total waste of time and money.Be safe wherever you are

M

MominMass

ASKIN' 'AINT GETTIN' !!! Give them what's available, and tell them that is everything in your posession.

They can always subpeona the bank and other institutions for records if they want them bad enough......Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">