• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

requesting extension - need to know ASAP please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g33k

What is the name of your state? Kansas

In the thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=292096 I was told I could file for an extension. I'm not sure quite what I need to type up, is this all I need?

====

Case No. #####

To Whom It May Concern:
I would like to request an extension of an additional 20 days in the case number ######. I am requesting this extension in order to retain an attorney for my case.

[name]
[address]

====

Thank you!

Last edited:

brisgirl825

I think what you may need is a Continuance. Have you checked with the county courthouse to file the proper paperwork?

g33k

I asked the court clerk and they said I just needed something written that said I wanted extra time. I asked if they had a form and the lady said she didn't think there was a form for that.

I just emailed my lawyer, too, to see if she could file an extension or continuance (or whatever I need).

brisgirl825

g33k said:
I asked the court clerk and they said I just needed something written that said I wanted extra time. I asked if they had a form and the lady said she didn't think there was a form for that.

I just emailed my lawyer, too, to see if she could file an extension or continuance (or whatever I need).
If you have already retained counsel, but they haven't had time to review your case, they should file a continuance for you.

I would be hesitant to just send something to the court. You don't know that it will get there in time or be viewed by the correct person.

Zephyr

g33k said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

In the thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=292096 I was told I could file for an extension. I'm not sure quite what I need to type up, is this all I need?

====

Case No. #####

To Whom It May Concern:
I would like to request an extension of an additional 20 days in the case number ######. I am requesting this extension in order to retain an attorney for my case.

[name]
[address]

====

Thank you!

something similar to that was all I needed to send to the judge when requesting a bit of time to find an attorney. if you were filing a motion you would have a form to fill out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">