• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required Residency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tess Wilson

What is the name of your state?AL

Is there a law in the state of AL that requires spouse to remain in the state after the divorce? I may have to move elsewhere to find work. My husband is also subject to transfer to other states.

Thanks

H

hexeliebe

Tess;

I have found no Alabama law that stipulates either party to a divorce custody or other such proceeding must remain in the state following the determination of such a proceeding.

However, a judge in a custody hearing may and could limit the distance you may relocate depending on the wishes of the other party and if it is so stated in your custody order, then that is what you must follow.

If I'm wrong this post will be bumped up to the top for someone else to comment on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">