• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requirements for residency...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dvorcesux

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

In regards to there being a potential that my spouse will file for divorce in the state of Nevada...

What are the requirements or qualifications for a person to be officially/legally a resident of the state of Nevada? Does a person need to have their name on a rental agreement, lease, recieving mail, etc? Or does a person become a resident by simply having been staying (sleeping, eating, etc) in Nevada?

Any specifics would be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

dvorcesux said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

In regards to there being a potential that my spouse will file for divorce in the state of Nevada...

What are the requirements or qualifications for a person to be officially/legally a resident of the state of Nevada? Does a person need to have their name on a rental agreement, lease, recieving mail, etc? Or does a person become a resident by simply having been staying (sleeping, eating, etc) in Nevada?

Any specifics would be greatly appreciated.
I think that NV requires just 6 weeks of being present in NV to be a legal resident. However you should probably confirm that with an NV attorney.

dvorcesux

LdiJ said:
I think that NV requires just 6 weeks of being present in NV to be a legal resident. However you should probably confirm that with an NV attorney.
Thanks for the response.

I'm aware of the 6 week TIME requirement, but...

Does a person need to have their name on a rental agreement, lease, recieving mail, etc? Or does a person become a resident by simply having been staying (sleeping, eating, etc) in Nevada?

Is it merely that a person must be only physically present there? If that were the only requirement, I would think that would be difficult to prove, or verify for a court...but I'm far from a law interpreter. No address, no phone number, no nothing, and you can be a legal resident?

Anything out there to clarify this?

LdiJ

dvorcesux said:
Thanks for the response.

I'm aware of the 6 week TIME requirement, but...

Does a person need to have their name on a rental agreement, lease, recieving mail, etc? Or does a person become a resident by simply having been staying (sleeping, eating, etc) in Nevada?

Is it merely that a person must be only physically present there? If that were the only requirement, I would think that would be difficult to prove, or verify for a court...but I'm far from a law interpreter. No address, no phone number, no nothing, and you can be a legal resident?

Anything out there to clarify this?
Yes, I think that they just need to be present there.

dvorcesux

Here's another angle...

LdiJ said:
Yes, I think that they just need to be present there.
OK, so it may be that being present is all that's needed.

Does that time period for the first 6 weeks, have to be a contiguous 6 weeks? In other words, if that person moves to Nevada, then after having been there for 10 days, decides to leave the state of Nevada for a 6 day period of time....then returns to Nevada.

Does the clock start over?

LdiJ

dvorcesux said:
OK, so it may be that being present is all that's needed.

Does that time period for the first 6 weeks, have to be a contiguous 6 weeks? In other words, if that person moves to Nevada, then after having been there for 10 days, decides to leave the state of Nevada for a 6 day period of time....then returns to Nevada.

Does the clock start over?
I have no idea about that one...sorry

liv2luv

Residency for her is the state with the least waiting

I hate to point this out, but on my information it says 90 days, 6 weeks does not equal 90 days. But the real answer you need to take note of, the state of Oregon require's a person to reside(just live & breathe in most states) for 6 month's before they can file legal action against someone else. It seem's she wanted to get away with doing it the quickest. Why? Do you have any children? If so and you both lived in Oregon during that 6 months before she left ( sounds like she's really gone to! ) than that would deter you from filing anything against her to obtain your right's equally concerning custody and visitation. But....I know nothing like that as you just want to know the resisdency requirement's of another state that your spouse has now left for instead of filing where you both we're on equal ground at one point. But my advice is if your childless-stop concerning yourself with her and you need to move on too---at least now you do. And I agree. people who leave states to file for divorce-suck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">