• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsible for previous debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SHADEE74

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My brother is getting married to a girl who has
over $20,000 in student loans already and still has 3 years in school yet. Since we(family) dont
feel this marriage will last we are wondering if they divorce will he be responsible to pay for the amount of debt in loans she established BEFORE they got married. I can see him being responsible for student loan amounts once they are married but what about the $20,000 she acquired before marriage. She will in no way be able to make the payments on this loan so we know it will default.

Is there anyway he can protect himself from that?

C

cryingdiamond

debts previous to marriages do not affet the other person unless they have singed a joint account or he was a co- applicant ..... School oans do not have to be paid until she has graduated so she still has a while before she has to pay. tell her to get a job and start saving.

V

velbing

responsible for previous debt

IF she falls behind and the government tries to garnish joint taxes, he will have to file an "injured Spouse form" to get his portion of any refund. I believe it is IRS form 8330. I have been in his situation too. Also from WI

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">