• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restart divorce CT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trisha82162

I started a divorce in 1991 and I was given a letter by my lawyer that a dissolution of marriage was granted in 1992 but I was told it was a mistake by his secretary just a few weeks ago when I was trying to get a copy of divorce decree. I was told everything was dismissed and I was not divorced. I have been living like I was and now want to be remarried. Do I have to start all over again or just continue on from the last proceedings? Is there a statute of limitations on this matter? I don't even know where he is. Can I still get a divorce? I really can't afford a lawyer at this point.

JETX

trisha82162 said:
Do I have to start all over again or just continue on from the last proceedings?
Very likely you will have to start over.

Is there a statute of limitations on this matter?
Yes... and no. Depending on where the case was at the time it was 'dropped', the court very likely dismissed it for lack of 'prosecution' (meaning no one made efforts to resolve it).

I don't even know where he is. Can I still get a divorce? I really can't afford a lawyer at this point.
Then you are going to have to save some money.... what you are trying to do will require the services of a qualified legal representative.

Go to: http://ct-divorce.com/Dissolu.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">