• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retainer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

L.Evans

I put a lawyer on a $2000 retainer in NY State for a divorce proceeding. My soon to be ex may have come up with a settlement that I can live with. Is the unused portion of my retainer ($1200) refundable?

Thanks in advance.

D

dorenephilpot

Depends on whether he bills against the retainer or not.

A retainer, technically, is money you pay your attorney just to take your case. Then you pay hourly for any work on top of that.

However, many attorneys (I'm one of them) will bill against it, meaning that they would charge at their hourly rate up to the amount that you gave as a retainer. Say, for example, your attorney charges $200 an hour. Then after 10 hours, that would mean that your retainer is used up. He would ask you for more money at that point.

If you didn't use 10 hours worth of work, however, then there would be money that was unused and therefore could be refunded to you.

I have given refunds to several clients over time when their cases were resolved without spending down the amount of the retainer. However, most of the time I've used up their retainer on their cases and then some, so they get a bill, not a refund.

I've heard of attorneys who take huge retainers, do little to nothing, the case gets settled by the parties quickly and then the attorneys won't refund anything. I consider that unethical, but if it was truly a retainer only and the attorney was clear that he didn't bill against it, then there's not a lot you can do except refer your friends to other attorneys.

Call your attorney and simply ask if there is a refund coming your way.

Hope this helps answer your question.

L

L.Evans

Thanks for the info. I will request a refund if everything continues to proceed smoothly once my situation comes to an end. My wife's lawyer is doing all the work so far & if the final proposal goes as I think it may there will be no need for my lawyer any longer with a $1200 balance on my retainer. It would seem unethical for him to keep it. Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">