• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retainer and termination of lawyer's services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state?CA

Hi all,
I submitted a letter to my attorney in September '04 telling her that as of that date, her services would no longer be required. I asked that she send me a comprehensive final bill of all services performed up to that date.
I got the final bill and paid it. I called the office to confirm that it was the final bill. I didn't want anymore surprises. It was confirmed that the final bill concluded billing. I was then sent a statement showing the zero balance with a Thank You note scrawled next to the zero.
Yesterday (over two months later), I received a letter from the attorney indicating that per the retainer, their services conclude when she enters something with the court indicating that she is no longer my attorney. Part of her long cover letter was information that I could contact a local reference for preparation of a QDRO.
This suspiciously looks like something I'm going to get billed for and I'm wondering how she can do it, especially after a zero balance was confirmed and her office told me that billing had concluded.
Two questions:
Can an attorney continue to bill after they've been fired?
Is there is any formal way I can file a grievance regarding this matter if she does try to bill me?

Thanks.

Last edited:

childrenRpeople said:
What is the name of your state?CA

Hi all,
I submitted a letter to my attorney in September '04 telling her that as of that date, her services would no longer be required. I asked that she send me a comprehensive final bill of all services performed up to that date.
I got the final bill and paid it. I called the office to confirm that it was the final bill. I didn't want anymore surprises. It was confirmed that the final bill concluded billing. I was then sent a statement showing the zero balance with a Thank You note scrawled next to the zero.
Yesterday (over two months later), I received a letter from the attorney indicating that per the retainer, their services conclude when she enters something with the court indicating that she is no longer my attorney. Part of her long cover letter was information that I could contact a local reference for preparation of a QDRO.
This suspiciously looks like something I'm going to get billed for and I'm wondering how she can do it, especially after a zero balance was confirmed and her office told me that billing had concluded.
Two questions:
Can an attorney continue to bill after they've been fired?
Is there is any formal way I can file a grievance regarding this matter if she does try to bill me?

Thanks.
Wow have you ever jumped way ahead on this one! Take a chill pill and relax. Once fired, a lawyer would most likely bill a very limited time to maybe withdraw and prepare the case to be handed back to you. You've already got a zero balance bill and note saying the billing is concluded. They've confirmed that over the phone.

From what you've said it sounds like the law firm is wrapping up things very professionally and very ethically. Why in the world are you concerned you're suddenly going to get billed? Heck they've even gone so far as give you advice on how to handle things from this point forward.

It sounded like you had a pretty good firm working for you, you sure you want to fire them? No offense, but you seem a little high strung...the type that might, no offense, that most attorneys find difficult to work with especially on a divorce/support case.

One drawbacks to these boards is that you never can give the entire background of your scenario.
I had billing disputes with this office before. That is part of the reason I decided not to continue with her. In all honesty, I believe that their billing practices are unethical and I am not the first client to file a complaint.
Yes, perhaps I did jump ahead and imagine the worst case scenario but given the history (and the amount of debt that I'm in), the prospect of another bill is just overwhelming.

"but you seem a little high strung...the type that might, no offense, that most attorneys find difficult to work with especially on a divorce/support case."

Let's put it this way...having to part with resources does make people high-strung. Suddenly they see the blood being sucked from their veins right in front of their eyes...no offense ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">