• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaining house in divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freegaby

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I recently purchased my mother's home. She is very ill and wished to sell the house to pay off some outstanding debt; however, she is still living with me. My mortgage is not for the full value of the house. We did a gift of equity for the difference. The mortgage is only in my name. The deed is currently only in my name because of that; however, the title company said they would add my husband for only the recordation fees. I have already sent them the check for that along with the notarized contract to add him to the deed. They have not cashed the check, nor have they added him to the deed yet. Now, my husband and I are having marital problems, and I believe he may leave me. If this does happen, would he be entitled to a share in the house? If so, how can I keep the house?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I recently purchased my mother's home. She is very ill and wished to sell the house to pay off some outstanding debt; however, she is still living with me. My mortgage is not for the full value of the house. We did a gift of equity for the difference. The mortgage is only in my name. The deed is currently only in my name because of that; however, the title company said they would add my husband for only the recordation fees. I have already sent them the check for that along with the notarized contract to add him to the deed. They have not cashed the check, nor have they added him to the deed yet. Now, my husband and I are having marital problems, and I believe he may leave me. If this does happen, would he be entitled to a share in the house? If so, how can I keep the house?What is the name of your state?
Why in the world did you do that???? Your mother is still living and her rights to a life estate in the home should have been preserved. You better contact the title company and see if there is any way to stop adding your husband to the deed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">