• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement Benefits After Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pammiec1445

What is the name of your state?Louisiana, How can I get part of his retirement after our divorce has become final.Can I still qualify for it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
pammiec1445 said:
What is the name of your state?Louisiana, How can I get part of his retirement after our divorce has become final.Can I still qualify for it.
Why did you not get it straightened out before the divorce was final? When Where is/was your attorney and why didn't your attorney ask for it then? Once a divorce and the property settlement is final you can't go back and ask for more unless there was some sort of judicial error or something that you could appeal but even then the appeal has to be filed within days of the final divorce decree.

nextwife

How long were you married? Did he get part of YOUR retirement? Did the property settlerment adjust for a greater amount of cash or lesser amount of debt in lieu of the retirement? Any amount of retirement benefit either of you ALREADY had coming into the marriage would not have been subject to split in a non-military divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">