• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement Funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bikergeek

In my divorce decree in 1998 (Illinois), it is noted that I am to receive 1/2 my spouse's retirement benefits as well as 1/2 the proceeds from the sale of our house. I will soon be moving to another state and was wanting to close the chapter of my life with my ex-husband. The amount of retirement owed to me (1/2 value at the time of divorce) is $30,000. I requested that my ex give me that money and I would allow him to have the full proceeds from the house - that he would owe me nothing more. As he is a teacher and the retirement is in a State Retirement Fund, he said he is not able to remove those funds until he retires. Do I have to wait until he retires to get my portion of the retirement? Can I force him to give me the money now? At the time of the divorce, I tried to be fair and not force him to pay anything at that time (I even paid for the lawyer). Now, what can I do? Thanks.:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">