• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement Investments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have an standard IRA and a very small retirement fund from before I married. I have not made a contribution to the IRA since marrying, and haven't worked. How is this treated?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have an standard IRA and a very small retirement fund from before I married. I have not made a contribution to the IRA since marrying, and haven't worked. How is this treated?
Your stbx would be entitled to 1/2 of the gains in the IRA's value during the marriage.

LdiJ

Your stbx would be entitled to 1/2 of the gains in the IRA's value during the marriage.
I disagree. It was separate property and was not maintained or supported or comingled with any marital property. Therefore it remains separate property.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
True: IRA was not maintained or co-mingled with marital property. STBX is against any investment that is not FDIC insured. Is there a difference between how traditional versus Roth IRAs are treated?

The marriage was in 2001, so less than 10 years.

STBX's retirement fund was exclusively during the marriage. Was worth $6,000 when he last worked (2005) and has probably only gone down.

LdiJ

True: IRA was not maintained or co-mingled with marital property. STBX is against any investment that is not FDIC insured. Is there a difference between how traditional versus Roth IRAs are treated?

The marriage was in 2001, so less than 10 years.

STBX's retirement fund was exclusively during the marriage. Was worth $6,000 when he last worked (2005) and has probably only gone down.
Premarital retirement assets remain separate property if not comingled. Retirement assets that accrued during a marriage are marital property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">