• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement Plans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bkpearson

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband has retirement plans from several companys. He agrees half is mine, but his lawyer is saying they are worth only 50 percent of face value because the money has not been taxed. I do not think this is right. Even if you do take into concideration the tax factor, when you retire your in the lowest braket far from 50 percent.

LdiJ

bkpearson said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband has retirement plans from several companys. He agrees half is mine, but his lawyer is saying they are worth only 50 percent of face value because the money has not been taxed. I do not think this is right. Even if you do take into concideration the tax factor, when you retire your in the lowest braket far from 50 percent.
That is total BS. Retirement monies are divided via QDROs, which means that the accounts are basically divided into two separate accounts, with each party being responsible for paying their own taxes should they choose to withdraw the funds before retirement.

Even IF, he mistakenly withdraws the funds to hand them over to you, if its a division of marital assets he doesn't not have to pay the 10% penalty tax....just regular income taxes.

His attorney is either playing games, or doesn't understand how things work regarding retirement accounts (which would be scary).

nextwife

Were you married to him during the time all these retirement plans accumulated? Did any predate the marriage?

LdiJ

nextwife said:
Were you married to him during the time all these retirement plans accumulated? Did any predate the marriage?
Apparently the stbx and his attorney already agree that she is entitled to a share of the accounts...they are just trying to cut the value in half by the "tax" argument. Again, that's a bogus argument since the funds are divided, "pre-tax" and each party is then responsible for what they do with the funds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">