• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return of engagement ring following break-up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

achrisb78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I've read different answers based on what state you're in, but does anyone know my legal rights as to obtaining the engagement ring back from my ex-fiancee? In this case I was the one who broke up with her, not the other way around. Any advice is much appreciated!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I've read different answers based on what state you're in, but does anyone know my legal rights as to obtaining the engagement ring back from my ex-fiancee? In this case I was the one who broke up with her, not the other way around. Any advice is much appreciated!
It was a gift. Forget about it.

She may be willing to give it back to you to be nice, but you can't force her to.

achrisb78

you're wrong

You must not be an attorney...

I just received an accurate answer from legal counsel stating that the ring is still legally mine and gave me 15 or more court cases and their rulings which back up that answer.

In my first post I said I was looking for my legal rights, not everyone's personal opinions.

Bali Hai

I just received an accurate answer from legal counsel stating that the ring is still legally mine and gave me 15 or more court cases and their rulings which back up that answer.

In my first post I said I was looking for my legal rights, not everyone's personal opinions.
An answer from legal counsel is not the same as a court order.

When you have a court order stating that the ring is legally yours, you can come back blowing your horn about it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What you probably didn't inform your well versed attorneys of is the fact that YOU broke off the engagement. It was a special form of a gift, but you can't get it back because it's YOU who broke the agreement.

HomeGuru

**A: please post the name of the MN legal counselor that told you that. And did you actually pay for said advice and retained the attorney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">