• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

returning to maiden name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gail0726

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
the divorce is in Virginia. I want to return to my maiden name.
my husbands attorney told me that the only way I could do that and make him pay for it was to hire an attorney to file the papers.
is that true? or what else can i do?

stephenk

doesnt the paperwork in your divorce include the option of you requesting that your maiden name be restored? In California, it is just one more line in the paperwork that you fill in.

kat1963

Most court houses have the paperwork for name changes on line here in VA. It is easy to do yourself without a lawyer, your filing fee/court costs is around 140-160. As for him paying for it, well you can try small claims court. However, you are the one that changed your name, not him and you were not legally bound to do so.

KAT

T

trac

over here in michigan you just have to bring your birth certificate to the driver licnse place and change you DL and then go to ss and show it to them and change the ss card, i just had to do it.... but your state might be diffrent

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">