• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revert back to Maiden Name after Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smileperson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I live in Los Angeles County CA. My divorce was finalized in Cook County IL in 1992.
Now in 2008 I want to revert back to my maiden name. I want to know the steps to take.
I have the forms (proof) of my marriage and divorce.

thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I live in Los Angeles County CA. My divorce was finalized in Cook County IL in 1992.
Now in 2008 I want to revert back to my maiden name. I want to know the steps to take.
I have the forms (proof) of my marriage and divorce.

thank you
You would have to simply file a petition to change your last name. However, before you do that, please think about it thoroughly, because its much more complicated than you realize. The act of changing your last name is fairly simple, its changing it everywhere that it would need to be changed, afterwards, that can be very complicated.

Real estate, driver's license, social security, credit cards, utility bills, bank accounts, etc. etc. etc.

The older you are, generally the more "stuff" that has to be changed.

VeronicaLodge

You would have to simply file a petition to change your last name. However, before you do that, please think about it thoroughly, because its much more complicated than you realize. The act of changing your last name is fairly simple, its changing it everywhere that it would need to be changed, afterwards, that can be very complicated.

Real estate, driver's license, social security, credit cards, utility bills, bank accounts, etc. etc. etc.

The older you are, generally the more "stuff" that has to be changed.
tell me about it, i just got married and am currently doing all that stuff!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">