• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ridiculous Dissolution Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EmuMessenger

What is the name of your state? TN

Today, I received an updated marital dissolution agreement from my wife's attorney and it seemed ludicris to me.

My wife left our marital home nine months ago, and initially, we were splitting the mortgage payment, but she stopped contributing four - five months ago.

Anyway, we were trying to divide everything, before having lawyers draw up the documents and we discussed what each would take. So, I told her what I wanted and vice-versa. Now, I get the agreement that lists what I am getting and says she gets "everything else in the marital residence." I have told my attorney I want an itemized list of what she expects. To me, although little, it seems as though I would lose all of the little things. Pots/pans, silverware, towels, sheets, I hope you get the idea.

Next it says the husband "will reside in the house until it is sold, and will indemnify the wife from all payments." Why should I be solely responsible. She voluntarily left and is welcome to live in the house.

From there is gets more crazy, it also says I will list the house at an agreed upon price FSBO for 90 days and then a broker if it does not sell. Then it says I will be responsible for all commissions. Again, this is ridiculous.

Next it says the husband will employ and pay for a landscape and cleaning service to be sure the house looks enticing to a potential buyer.

It also says if we cannot agree and go to court the husband is responsible for all associated court costs.

Long story short, I have told my attorney all of these things are not acceptable.

Really, can I be FORCED to live in the house?

What, from the above, is just a standard, outrageous starting point and what is reality?

Thank you in advance. :confused:

BelizeBreeze

If you don't like the offer of settlement, instruct your attorney to send a response in the form of the following:

Wife will retain ownership of her clothing, toiletries and personal items.

Husband shall retain ownership of all other items in the home including the marital home, lands and items necessary for the maintenance thereof.

and see how she reacts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">