• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right of entry to house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

otoroa

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am separated (no sep. agreement), almost 6 months. Spouse has legal address in D.C. We have agreed to a divorce as soon as residency requirements are met for her (6 months in D.C.). I let her enter my house 2 weeks ago (she had the key) to move out her things to her new apartment; she left 2 pieces of furniture, with no communication that she was coming back for them. I changed my locks 1 day after she got her stuff and notified her that I had done so. 3 days ago she broke into my house through the window, it appears she took only her things. I filed a police report but am deferring pressing charges.

My question is: Does she have any legal right of entry to my house now that a) we are living separately and legally apart and b) none of her possesions remain in my house.

thanks for any advice.

otoroa

more info...

I forgot to add that my house belongs to me only (owned it before the marriage, she lived with me for 3 months before leaving) We do have a pre-nup specifying that everything owned before the wedding remains to its respective owner.
~Otoroa

S

seniorjudge

otoroa said:
My question is: Does she have any legal right of entry to my house now that a) we are living separately and legally apart and b) none of her possesions remain in my house.
Is there any order of any kind keeping her away?

If not, your situation, presented at the local cop shop, would draw very little interest. If it made it to the prosecutor's office, it would draw even less interest.

Fix your window and be glad she didn't take anything else.

otoroa

No, no order keeping her away. I agree, it's a relatively minor matter for the police and courts. She appears to want to provoke me and make me uncomfortable. My preferred strategy is to lie low as long as she does not engage in willful destruction of my house with no reason (I am not withholding her property, from now on she may enter any time in my presence).

I am pretty sure she does not have legal access to my house but I will check with a local lawyer to be sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">