• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right to ex spouses retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kydreamer66

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I meant to ask this with my first entry and forgot. I was told at the time of my divorce, back in 2001, that I had a legal right to part of my ex husband's retirement when we divorced. We were married for 7 years. Is this true, and if so, what do I need to do to start the process?

B

Boxcarbill

Division of retirement benefits should have been dealt with at the time of divorce. You will need to find out whether it is still possible to address this under KY law. If may well be too late but you won't know for certain without talking with a KY family law lawyer.

J

judgebrown

Why?

Kydreamer66

I just wanted to ask you why you feel you should get his retirement that he worked hard for. Were you not smart enough to save your own? Please get back to me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Because marital assets were put into the retirement account. Generally, what's split is the portion contributed during the marriage. But it may be too late to do so now, if it wasn't addressed in the original order.

14klady

KYdreamer,
I am in a similar situtation, and it was on my divorce decree. And I'm still asking the same question as you. Oh and by the way that Judgebrown's reply was really an immature manly response. Does he not remember this is a marriage and you worked the same as he and maybe more. Good luck

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Understand that judgebrown is 23 years old, never been married and can't even figure out how to ask his fiancee for a pre-nup.

S

sevengables

Maybe Judgebrown should re-read the rules and regulations?(regarding being civil in his replies). His responses are rude and out of place on this board.

If a wife works (and most of them do), the money she contributes to the marriage allows her spouse to contribute more to the retirement fund. If she is a stay-at-home mom/housewife, there's also a monetary value placed on her "job". Unless her spouse pays her to stay at home and clean, cook, raise the kids, how could she possibly save money she never received to be able to save for her retirement?

I feel sorry for whomever judgebrown does marry. She's in for a really rough ride, to say the least. He needs to go post at one of those male-bonding message boards and stop taking up time and space here from serious responders! And what's this "judge" business? I'm sure he's not a judge (and hopefully he'll never be one).

Sorry to take up space, guys.....but I've seen some of his other posts and it makes me angry to see people with serious questions get ridiculed. Get lost judgebrown (this goes for anyone else out there with an attitude responding)!

H

happynow

From the other side, I am in the situation of paying my ex 1/2 of my military retirement. There were no monitary contributions from either of us, but I still am required to pay her. To me this is unfair, especially due to the fact that her new hubby will be enjoying the fruits of MY hard work.

H

happynow

From the other side, I am in the situation of paying my ex 1/2 of my military retirement. There were no monitary contributions from either of us, but I still am required to pay her. To me this is unfair, especially due to the fact that her new hubby will be enjoying the fruits of MY hard work.

J

judgebrown

retirement

If more people had started saving up for retirement at 17 and look at all the things you have to sacrifice they would perhaps understand more.

crusheroz

I belive you have to be married 10 years or more to get 1/2 of his retirement. Atleast that is what I have been told by other military spouses and my hubby.

V

VeeGee

crush...your right...you have to be married for 10 yrs or better to be entitled to half of a spouses pension. If you were married for 10 yrs then boxcar would be right too...it would be too late to ask for it now, that should have been put in divorce decree. As far as JB is concerned...you have alot of growing up to do. You speak from inexperience and show us all just how uninformed you really are. You of all ppl should NOT talk when all your interested in is pre-nups which of course in the end will leave you with only yourself to play with.

tigger22472

Not that this is any of my business but it's late and I'm bored.:) However, (and I am a 32 yr old woman that's been married and divorced(was married 10 years) .. I might add)) I don't think 10 years is long enough to be married to get an ex spouces retirement. Yes I've been the stay at home mom and yes I think two married people who work together should share things but not if it doesn't work out. What if someone works 35 or more years. Just because 10 of it was with someone they have to give half to them?? happynow has a point.. why should his ex get half his pention and the pention of the husband she has now? But then again.. that's just MHO

V

VeeGee

Honestly, I think any amount of yrs should entitle a wife to receive half the pension because no amount of money can take away the fact that a wife, cleans, cooks, irons, shops, (most work) take care of house, kids,husband etc etc etc. So in my opinion, there should not be a set amount of time married to be entitled to half the pension. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">