• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights after Divorce/Calif

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dawndawn

What is the name of your state? CA

My Mother in-law recently got divorced. She signed the documents based on what her ex told her. He told her that the mentioning that their home remain community property, he said that was that way so that If he died she would be able to keep the home, so she signed. We saw the documents just yesterday and almost fainted. The ex has not lived in the home for over 20 years, never made a payment, never paid child support, never gave a dime of alimony. She even got stuck paying all his tax deliquencies because the home was threatened. We want to hire an attorney to change this, she definately deserves the home herself. Is this possible to change? Divorce was finalized August 2002. Thank You for any and all advice you can give.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dawndawn said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My Mother in-law recently got divorced. She signed the documents based on what her ex told her. He told her that the mentioning that their home remain community property, he said that was that way so that If he died she would be able to keep the home, so she signed. We saw the documents just yesterday and almost fainted. The ex has not lived in the home for over 20 years, never made a payment, never paid child support, never gave a dime of alimony. She even got stuck paying all his tax deliquencies because the home was threatened. We want to hire an attorney to change this, she definately deserves the home herself. Is this possible to change? Divorce was finalized August 2002. Thank You for any and all advice you can give.

My response:

Have your mother-in-law see a local Family Law attorney. Your post is not only "second hand" information, but it's also confusing. Your mother-in-law should have better results if she speaks to an attorney, rather than having you write confusing posts.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">