• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights concerning car pre-divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mythicchick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I was laid off from my job in May. We could not afford payments on two cars and mine being the more costly (monthly) we had the finance company do a voluntary repo. Now we have only one car. The car is in my husband's name, but was purchased while we were married. My husband led me to believe that everything was fine between us until two months ago when I discovered his infidelity. I am now out on my own (I couldn't afford the rent on our apartment myself - he is still employed) with no car, no job, no hope. I can't even go look for a job. I literally had to beg him to pick me up tonight because I had no food and knowing I hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours, it still took him 2 hours to make the 10 minute trip to pick me up. I'm sorry, probably too much information.
I just need to know what I can do to take possession of the car. He has a job which is directly on the public transit route. I do collect unemployment, but my credit is not good enough to even try to purchase a car, and being unemployed I can't see anyone financing me anyway.
Thank you for your time.
Linda

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I was laid off from my job in May. We could not afford payments on two cars and mine being the more costly (monthly) we had the finance company do a voluntary repo. Now we have only one car. The car is in my husband's name, but was purchased while we were married. My husband led me to believe that everything was fine between us until two months ago when I discovered his infidelity. I am now out on my own (I couldn't afford the rent on our apartment myself - he is still employed) with no car, no job, no hope. I can't even go look for a job. I literally had to beg him to pick me up tonight because I had no food and knowing I hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours, it still took him 2 hours to make the 10 minute trip to pick me up. I'm sorry, probably too much information.
I just need to know what I can do to take possession of the car. He has a job which is directly on the public transit route. I do collect unemployment, but my credit is not good enough to even try to purchase a car, and being unemployed I can't see anyone financing me anyway.
Thank you for your time.
Linda
When you file for divorce, you can ask the court for temporary possession of the car. Point out to them that you are unable to work without access to transportation and that he lives on a public transportation route.

Whether the court will actually give you the car is anyone's guess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">