• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights during separation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aneli

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia
My husband of 16 years left five weeks ago because we had not been getting along. I did not know where he was for a month. I did not communicate with him at all. He would not return emails on his job and he did not return phone calls on his job. His parents had my phone calls blocked from their answer machine. During this time I had absolutely no way at all to reach him. The only reason I am speaking to him now is that he has finally decided to return my calls after all these weeks. My question is this...he is still not home and I dont know where he stays. His friends say he stays with his parents or friends.
1. Am I allowed to see other people since he abandoned me?
2. Can I dispose of his clothing and personal items? I have asked him to come get them and he will not

CourtClerk

5 weeks does not abandonment make...

and no, you may not dispose of his clothing.

Oh, and if he decides to come back, you may not deny him entry into his home.

mistoffolees

1. Am I allowed to see other people since he abandoned me?
2. Can I dispose of his clothing and personal items? I have asked him to come get them and he will not
1. You can see anyone you wish. You can NOT have an intimate relationship with anyone since you are still married and that would be adultery.

2. No. If you dispose of them before you get a final divorce decree, you're probably going to be buying him all new clothing and personal items.

If you're convinced that the marriage is over and he is not coming back, you need to file for divorce to get the ball rolling.

I also agree that 5 weeks doesn't constitute abandonment and even if it was, it's not particularly relevant in your case. First, abandonment is not listed as cause for divorce in Georgia. Second, you can get a no-fault divorce, anyway, so it's probably not going to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">