• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SharonBren

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey I have a very dear friend who in in the midst of a very ugly divorce. He needs to sell his house, but would like to take on a roommate until he sells the house because he cannot afford the mortgage alone, and his soon to be ex-wife does not want to help him pay it any longer. Is there any legal reason he cannot rent a room in his home to a woman? Would this effect what his wife is entitled to?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey I have a very dear friend who in in the midst of a very ugly divorce. He needs to sell his house, but would like to take on a roommate until he sells the house because he cannot afford the mortgage alone, and his soon to be ex-wife does not want to help him pay it any longer. Is there any legal reason he cannot rent a room in his home to a woman? Would this effect what his wife is entitled to?
He can rent a room to a man, woman, or Martian as long as they are legally able to enter a contract.

With a woman, he'll need to consider whether his ex will charge him with adultery. In particular, if he is collecting rent from the woman, he will be benefiting financially from the relationship, so it could affect alimony.
Adultery and Alimony? | New Jersey Divorce Center

If it were me, I'd avoid it unless there's a separate entrance or other way to maintain a separate living relationship. Even if he's not guilty of adultery, he may spend a lot of time and money proving it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">