• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Safety of IOLTA Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blh_houston

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Am in process of divorce and proceeds of the sale of a vacation property may be going into an IOLTA Trust at lawyer. I've been warned that the lawyer can sit on this money even after the final decree. What problems arise when the divorce is over and the money needs to be disbursed according to the final decree?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Am in process of divorce and proceeds of the sale of a vacation property may be going into an IOLTA Trust at lawyer. I've been warned that the lawyer can sit on this money even after the final decree. What problems arise when the divorce is over and the money needs to be disbursed according to the final decree?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I don't see the particular problem. What does the decree say wrt disbursement and what are your concerns?

blh_houston

Have been told that the lawyer wont release the money but will sit on it for a while. Dont know if this is his lawyer causing problems.

mistoffolees

Have been told that the lawyer wont release the money but will sit on it for a while. Dont know if this is his lawyer causing problems.
I'm not aware of specific time limits on how soon the attorney has to release the money. If you're concerned about it, ask the judge to order the attorney to release the money within 15 days (since it sounds like it's not final yet and you'll still be in front of the judge).

blh_houston

Excellent idea and thank you. You're right. We are just at the beginning and i will see if this suggestion will keep things from getting more out of control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">