• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale of marital home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barbtn

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
My husband and I have been separated for 3 months. We were agreeing on everything and all of a sudden he has decided to give me a hard time. We had decided that we would maintain joint ownership of our home (as an investment) and that he would continue to reside there. Now since he has started causing problems, I said I will force the sale of the home and he will have to move. He works his business (dog grooming/boarding) from our home and says since his source of income is in the home that I cannot force a sale. Is this true?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

No. "Fur Brains" doesn't know what he's talking about. You're entitled to your equitable share of the home equity. If he wants the home, he can't force you to become an "investor" if you don't want to. The court will either order him to refinance the mortgage into his own name, or to order it sold.

He can run his business from anywhere he wants to. He's just comfortable in the home. But, that's not going to be good enough reason for the court.

Go get him - - and get your money.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">