• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale of Property Proceeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ct25ia

Delaware

Ive been divorced for almost a year now. The divorce decree stated that we were to sell our joint home and the proceeds were to be split 50/50. The home sold and the title agency did indeed split the proceeds evenly. My ex emailed me a month later requesting a check for the proceeds because I never paid for the mortgage while we were together. Rather then argue with him I agreed to mail a check less the cost of the legal fees I paid for the divorce. When I agreed I never had any intention of actually doing it, I just wanted him to go away and not to argue with him. I didn't hear from him until last week so I thought it was a dead issue. It is not. He is still requesting a check. My question is are my emails legally binding?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Delaware

Ive been divorced for almost a year now. The divorce decree stated that we were to sell our joint home and the proceeds were to be split 50/50. The home sold and the title agency did indeed split the proceeds evenly. My ex emailed me a month later requesting a check for the proceeds because I never paid for the mortgage while we were together. Rather then argue with him I agreed to mail a check less the cost of the legal fees I paid for the divorce. When I agreed I never had any intention of actually doing it, I just wanted him to go away and not to argue with him. I didn't hear from him until last week so I thought it was a dead issue. It is not. He is still requesting a check. My question is are my emails legally binding?
I'd just ignore his future requests. Agreeing to mail him a check was stupid, but probably not legally binding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">