• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Satisfaction of Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lscott629

What is the name of your state?Missouri

My ex-husband filed contempt of court on me after we had been divorced one year. I had to pay him $20,000 dollars to keep my house and be done with the divorce. I only had 19,000 and was in the last stages of refinancing my home when I discovered a lein on the house. After asking him to sign a lein release, and he refused, I offered him the 19,000 that I had and told him I would pay the remaining 1000 after the house was re-financed. He then signed a Satisfaction of Judgement for the full 20,000. Within a month of the re-finance I was still short the 1000. I borrowed the money from my mother, put it in an envelope, and placed it in his mailbox. My ex and I had not spoken a word to each other in over a year. I had always spoke to my or his attorney. I was not going to call him about leaving the money. I knew he would find it. After a year, I received papers from his attorney where they had filed contempt charges on me for not paying the remaining thousand. His attorney is trying to say that we had a contract but I never signed anything or even admitted anything. I was trying to get the house re-done in the time allotted on the decree and he refused to sign the lein. I admit it was stupid to pay in cash but I was trying to get it over with as soon as possible. My question is, does he even have a contempt case on me because of the signed Satisfaction of Judgment for the full 20,000? Is it true a Satisfaction of Judgement means that everything is taken care of and I am no longer liable for anything? Please help. Thanks.

Last edited:

LdiJ

lscott629 said:
What is the name of your state?Missouri

My ex-husband filed contempt of court on me after we had been divorced five years. I had to pay him $20,000 dollars to keep my house and be done with the divorce. I only had 19,000 and was in the last stages of refinancing my home when I discovered a lein on the house. After asking him to sign a lein release, and he refused, I offered him the 19,000 that I had and told him I would pay the remaining 1000 after the house was re-financed. He then signed a Satisfaction of Judgement for the full 20,000. Within a month of the re-finance I was still short the 1000. I borrowed the money from my mother, put it in an envelope, and placed it in his mailbox. My ex and I had not spoken a word to each other in over a year. I had always spoke to my or his attorney. I was not going to call him about leaving the money. I knew he would find it. After a year, I received papers from his attorney where they had filed contempt charges on me for not paying the remaining thousand. His attorney is trying to say that we had a contract but I never signed anything or even admitted anything. I was trying to get the house re-done in the time allotted on the decree and he refused to sign the lein. I admit it was stupid to pay in cash but I was trying to get it over with as soon as possible. My question is, does he even have a contempt case on me because of the signed Satisfaction of Judgment for the full 20,000? Is it true a Satisfaction of Judgement means that everything is taken care of and I am no longer liable for anything? Please help. Thanks.
Your ex is a real piece of work isn't he?

I don't see how a judge could find you in contempt when you have a signed "Satisfaction of Judgement".

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
Your ex is a real piece of work isn't he?

I don't see how a judge could find you in contempt when you have a signed "Satisfaction of Judgement".
Somebody here is a real piece of work alright.

Did her ex get that $1k?

Did she put that $1k in the right mailbox?

Did she put that $1k in any mailbox?

How often does ANYONE put $1000 cash in an envolope and into an unguarded mailbox?

Ahhhhh, but she has the signed "Satisfaction of Judgement" doesn't she.

What was written on the envolpe? This is from the person you haven't spoken with in over a year. "Find $1000 cash inside for satisfaction of judgement"?? Send receipt??

Last edited:

LdiJ

Bali Hai said:
Somebody here is a real piece of work alright.

Did her ex get that $1k?

Did she put that $1k in the right mailbox?

Did she put that $1k in any mailbox?

How often does ANYONE put $1000 cash in an envolope and into an unguarded mailbox?

Ahhhhh, but she has the signed "Satisfaction of Judgement" doesn't she.

What was written on the envolpe? This is from the person you haven't spoken with in over a year. "Find $1000 cash inside for satisfaction of judgement"?? Send receipt??
Ok...she was stupid. That's a given. However, the legal reality is that she has a signed "satisfacation of judgement". I don't see how a judge could find her in contempt.

Kane

I think Bai is saying that she's lying, not that she's foolish.

But either way, what he's doing is equally foolish, if not vindictive.

LdiJ

Kane said:
I think Bai is saying that she's lying, not that she's foolish.

But either way, what he's doing is equally foolish, if not vindictive.
I agree...his attorney is probably costing him for than the 1k....with little to no chance of prevailing due to the signed satisfaction of judgement.

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
I agree...his attorney is probably costing him for than the 1k....with little to no chance of prevailing due to the signed satisfaction of judgement.
So much for making a gentlemen's agreement with a woman.

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
Depends on which one of them is lying. It could easily be either of them.
She admitts she owes the $1000.

She has absolutely no way of knowing or proving that he received the money due to her extremely poor judgement in how she purportedly attempted to pay this debt.

Her story has holes to the point that she should pay the $1000 just to keep from going into court and expecting the judge to swallow that malarky whether she wins the case or not.

LdiJ

Bali Hai said:
She admitts she owes the $1000.

She has absolutely no way of knowing or proving that he received the money due to her extremely poor judgement in how she purportedly attempted to pay this debt.

Her story has holes to the point that she should pay the $1000 just to keep from going into court and expecting the judge to swallow that malarky whether she wins the case or not.
.....she has a signed "satisfaction of judgement". If she didn't, you would be right. Since she does, its going to be her ex that looks like he is trying to pull something.

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
.....she has a signed "satisfaction of judgement". If she didn't, you would be right. Since she does, its going to be her ex that looks like he is trying to pull something.
But she is going to be honest with the court and testify she owed the $1000 and verbally promised to pay it.

The she will testify about the US POSTAL mailbox story won't she?

LdiJ

Bali Hai said:
But she is going to be honest with the court and testify she owed the $1000 and verbally promised to pay it.

The she will testify about the US POSTAL mailbox story won't she?
Doesn't matter....there is a signed "satisfaction of judgement". The judge has to go by that. There is no evidence to support either story....but there is hard, cold evidence that states that the judgement is satisfied. In fact, I will be surprized if his attorney even lets it go in front of the judge.

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
Doesn't matter....there is a signed "satisfaction of judgement". The judge has to go by that. There is no evidence to support either story....but there is hard, cold evidence that states that the judgement is satisfied. In fact, I will be surprized if his attorney even lets it go in front of the judge.
Yep. Looks like she's got him against the ropes.

lscott629

Thanks for the help

Missouri
Actually, I'm not lying I am that foolish. I thought this would all be taken care of. I had no idea that he was trying to do this until a year later. I knew he would get the money but I was not about to give him my account number on a check or talk to him. He has an extremely bad temper and had many times during the divorce had me harrassed and followed. Also, his attorney started yelling at my attorney when she tried to tell him about the Satisfaction of Judgement. His attorney is also pressing the matter along with him. Could he owe his attorney money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">