• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SC Divorce Requirements CA marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soulejr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina.

I would like to know the procedure for obtaining a divorce in the state of SC. My daughter has been living with her fiance for over 7 years. He was previously married in CA and his former spouse now lives in AZ. My daughter and her fiance have two children, and he has a 13 year old child with his former spouse. He claims he cannot get his divorce finalized without going to CA and filing, and claims he doesn't have the funds to do so. His parents live in SC and have said they will pay for the divorce to be finalized. We are all beyond being frustrated with this man, but he is the father of our two grandchildren. Our daughter has bought into this story that her fiance has told her, and we would like to find out the procedure to obtain a divorce when not living in the state where the marriage took place.
Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I would like to know the procedure for obtaining a divorce in the state of SC. My daughter has been living with her fiance for over 7 years. He was previously married in CA and his former spouse now lives in AZ. My daughter and her fiance have two children, and he has a 13 year old child with his former spouse. He claims he cannot get his divorce finalized without going to CA and filing, and claims he doesn't have the funds to do so. His parents live in SC and have said they will pay for the divorce to be finalized. We are all beyond being frustrated with this man, but he is the father of our two grandchildren. Our daughter has bought into this story that her fiance has told her, and we would like to find out the procedure to obtain a divorce when not living in the state where the marriage took place.
Thank you.
He is full of it. He could file in SC. Custody issues would have to be settled in AZ however. CA has NOTHING to do with it.

Thank you.
That's not his "former spouse" that's his wife...and he's still married. So your daughter had two kids with a married man who already has one child and claims he can't afford or fiqure out how to get divorced...and she still wants to marry him? The residency requirement for one party to file in SC is 12 months...so the guy has been stalling for 6 years! Has she considered getting some form of custody/support and forgetting about the marriage? Have you/she fully considered the financial implications of marriage and the potential for ANOTHER divorce? Does he have his 13 year old with him...or is he paying temporary support. Is he current on his support? Is there any marital debt or customary family expenses that his wife will be demanding reimbursement for in their final decree? He could also be on the hook for college expenses for his first child as well. If you think your frustrated now...just wait!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">