• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

scared about my divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

forumusyoungz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia (military orders)

My wife of 5 months is wanting a divorce. We have known each other for over a year and i am in the navy. During the whole time we have been married and she has been living with me she has had no job nor no source of income. She is now wanting all her personal belongings back which i am fine with and what not but one thing i wanna fight is that she wants money out of this divorce. But one thing i might have on my side is that she admitted to cheating on me via email and also told her best friend who came and told me that she cheated on me with (SO n SO). what can i do so she can not take money and i can win the divorce with out her getting nothing at all? Or my best advice to steps to take to protect my self?

Proserpina

My wife of 5 months is wanting a divorce. We have known each other for over a year and i am in the navy. During the whole time we have been married and she has been living with me she has had no job nor no source of income. She is now wanting all her personal belongings back which i am fine with and what not but one thing i wanna fight is that she wants money out of this divorce. But one thing i might have on my side is that she admitted to cheating on me via email and also told her best friend who came and told me that she cheated on me with (SO n SO). what can i do so she can not take money and i can win the divorce with out her getting nothing at all? Or my best advice to steps to take to protect my self?
She wants what, exactly, in addition to her personal belongings?

(and this isn't about who "wins" - it's about to people who need to let go and move on. So...)

mistoffolees

She may well be entitled to something. In almost all states, she would be entitled to 1/2 of marital assets. So half of any assets you accumulated while you were married ARE hers. In addition, she may be entitled to temporary support while the divorce is pending.

OK, she cheated on you. That doesn't mean that she's given up her legal rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">