• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared, nervous and needing lots of advise!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bettencourt

undefined :eek: Typing from Cali.
Here's the story. Me and my husband have been living together for 12 yrs. and married for 7 yrs. Just this past month I found out that he was talking to another female and wasn't out of the marriage. All a big shock to me. He doesn't want to try to work it out at all. He moved out to his mom's house and left me at our home with the kids. Here is the question I'm concerned about.... Since the house is not in my name and I am the grantee on the title what legal rights do I have of the home? He purchased the house in 1980's with his parents and moved out. Then when we got married we moved in together. I was a stay at home mom and would work off and on just to get some extra money. He paid for everything and now I had to get a job to pay for everything except the mortgage payment. He is still paying that. He told me that he eventually would like to move back in and me to find somewhere else to live. If I had $$$ I would say fine,,,, that your house and leave me alone. But I have nothing. No career, no $$$, no insurance. Nothing. Everything I had was with him and now he wants to take it all away. I guess I should have been more careful and not depended on him so much. Any advice would be great.
Thanks Deb

LdiJ

Bettencourt said:
undefined :eek: Typing from Cali.
Here's the story. Me and my husband have been living together for 12 yrs. and married for 7 yrs. Just this past month I found out that he was talking to another female and wasn't out of the marriage. All a big shock to me. He doesn't want to try to work it out at all. He moved out to his mom's house and left me at our home with the kids. Here is the question I'm concerned about.... Since the house is not in my name and I am the grantee on the title what legal rights do I have of the home? He purchased the house in 1980's with his parents and moved out. Then when we got married we moved in together. I was a stay at home mom and would work off and on just to get some extra money. He paid for everything and now I had to get a job to pay for everything except the mortgage payment. He is still paying that. He told me that he eventually would like to move back in and me to find somewhere else to live. If I had $$$ I would say fine,,,, that your house and leave me alone. But I have nothing. No career, no $$$, no insurance. Nothing. Everything I had was with him and now he wants to take it all away. I guess I should have been more careful and not depended on him so much. Any advice would be great.
Thanks Deb
You need to get yourself an attorney. Find a way somehow, even if you have to borrow the money from family. CA is a community property state and an attorney can best advise you of what you are entitled to as far as assets and debts are concerned.

nextwife

Bettencourt said:
undefined He purchased the house in 1980's with his parents and moved out.
If he co-owns the place with his parents, only his portion is potentially marital property, as to the house. And that might be half the appreciation that his share accrued during the marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">