• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schizophrenia wife abandons home, wants reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

charlie sherman

Vermont. My wife has schizophrenia and has abandoned the home cause she imagines me being up to no good caused by her illness. She really is off a lot right now. She now has an apartment and feels she should be reimbursed for some of the share of her house. Cause of the abandonment and Her illness could she be entitled to it or a chance She isn't? Could they look into DR. records or does that not count? If so could it be arranged where just a little a month is paid? My concern is she might improve again and I may have this big loan taken out and she may want to return. I still care for her so I would like to let it go smooth as possible. We are getting a legal separation very soon. Please tell me some of my options, maybe some I didn't mention here. If you need more info for my question please let me know cause I'm not the best at expressing myself. Thank you.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Vermont. My wife has schizophrenia and has abandoned the home cause she imagines me being up to no good caused by her illness. She really is off a lot right now. She now has an apartment and feels she should be reimbursed for some of the share of her house. Cause of the abandonment and Her illness could she be entitled to it or a chance She isn't? Could they look into DR. records or does that not count? If so could it be arranged where just a little a month is paid? My concern is she might improve again and I may have this big loan taken out and she may want to return. I still care for her so I would like to let it go smooth as possible. We are getting a legal separation very soon. Please tell me some of my options, maybe some I didn't mention here. If you need more info for my question please let me know cause I'm not the best at expressing myself. Thank you.

Her illness has no bearing whatsoever; if she's entitled to a share of the marital property, she's entitled to a share, period.

LdiJ

Does she receive SSDI , SSI , or both ?
It really doesn't matter...she is still entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets, whether she is competent to handle her own finances or not...she is also responsible for 1/2 of any marital debts.

charlie sherman

Does she receive SSDI , SSI , or both ?
She recieves both. But the other person could be right. It probably doesn't matter I don't know anythng about this stuff and that's why I'm glad theres places like this to discuss problems and get people involved. This is why I'm on here to get get peoples opinion and advice and I appreciate all sides and I like to hear what everyone has to say on the matter. This is how I find out things and what to expect and learn. Thank you both and please feel free to add anything you like to help me.

Last edited:

Proserpina

It really doesn't matter...she is still entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets, whether she is competent to handle her own finances or not...she is also responsible for 1/2 of any marital debts.

Agreed!

(I hate the 10 char. limit....)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">