• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Screwed by the system!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

COWDOG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY - I finally put an end to my so-called marriage after 18 yrs. I retained a lawyer on recommendation. At the consultation she led me to believe she was actually taking the case then threw it to her asso. My X has nothing in life, a bum. Doesn't work, is on disability, and has a gambling habit, drug habit and bad temper. I obtain a retraining order and he tested + for drugs. The kicker is he had no $$$$ for an atty, (46 yrs old and has no bank acct or assets) but somehow convinced his father to lend him $20,000 for an attorney. The only assets we had were the house, I had a large 401K, 2 pensions and a few bank accounts with the kids money, which I kept. He has his SS income and SS disability pension. He worked as a construction laborer and was in the union for apprx 10 yrs before he was hurt. A QDRO for his pension plan to me is still pending. Anyway when it was all over this bum rcd 1/2 of my 401K and pensions and I could only stay in my house for (5 yrs) - my youngest will only be 13 then I have to split the house with him. My lawyer sat there and his lawyer ran the entire show. There were minimum negotiations made in my favor. Throughout the marriage he gambled over $100,000 which I documented and he admitted to and I rcd a $35,000 wasteful distribution credit for that. I signed a legal separation agreement last year. His share of my 401K has been transferred to him, which he will cash out and blow within a year. Is there a way I can fight for full ownership of my house based on his past gambling history, especially that he will blow right thru the 401k $$$ (and he is living with his parents). I basically have full responsiblilty of my 2 kids. I rcd $400.00 in child support and am paying the full mortgage, taxes and everything else. Like I said my lawyer just sat there and didn't do anything - some minor legal bull****, but nothing for me! When asked why his lawyer drew up the agreement, she brought up $$$$. When I complained, she would say if I want to go to trial it would costs a lot more $$$. So not only did I get screwed by my X (who is a least a sick person, I got screwed by my atty.) Totally unfair!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Silverplum

We're not here for ranting.

Do you have a legal question?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY - I finally put an end to my so-called marriage after 18 yrs. I retained a lawyer on recommendation. At the consultation she led me to believe she was actually taking the case then threw it to her asso. My X has nothing in life, a bum. Doesn't work, is on disability, and has a gambling habit, drug habit and bad temper. I obtain a retraining order and he tested + for drugs. The kicker is he had no $$$$ for an atty, (46 yrs old and has no bank acct or assets) but somehow convinced his father to lend him $20,000 for an attorney. The only assets we had were the house, I had a large 401K, 2 pensions and a few bank accounts with the kids money, which I kept. He has his SS income and SS disability pension. He worked as a construction laborer and was in the union for apprx 10 yrs before he was hurt. A QDRO for his pension plan to me is still pending. Anyway when it was all over this bum rcd 1/2 of my 401K and pensions and I could only stay in my house for (5 yrs) - my youngest will only be 13 then I have to split the house with him. My lawyer sat there and his lawyer ran the entire show. There were minimum negotiations made in my favor. Throughout the marriage he gambled over $100,000 which I documented and he admitted to and I rcd a $35,000 wasteful distribution credit for that. I signed a legal separation agreement last year. His share of my 401K has been transferred to him, which he will cash out and blow within a year. Is there a way I can fight for full ownership of my house based on his past gambling history, especially that he will blow right thru the 401k $$$ (and he is living with his parents). I basically have full responsiblilty of my 2 kids. I rcd $400.00 in child support and am paying the full mortgage, taxes and everything else. Like I said my lawyer just sat there and didn't do anything - some minor legal bull****, but nothing for me! When asked why his lawyer drew up the agreement, she brought up $$$$. When I complained, she would say if I want to go to trial it would costs a lot more $$$. So not only did I get screwed by my X (who is a least a sick person, I got screwed by my atty.) Totally unfair!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

BL

We're not here for ranting.

Do you have a legal question?
Actually there was , but it was missing the question mark , plus added more ranting . :D

Is there a way I can fight for full ownership of my house based on his past gambling history, especially that he will blow right thru the 401k $$$ (and he is living with his parents).
I find the post rather comical myself .

LdiJ

I can kind of see her point in a way. Its hard to see someone get half of the money you have worked for, when you know that its going to be pissed away, gambling.

Silverplum

I can kind of see her point in a way. Its hard to see someone get half of the money you have worked for, when you know that its going to be pissed away, gambling.
Eh.
Anyone who's ever paid support to a *nimrod/cheating beyotch/grubbing beast/name your insult* feels that it's "hard." Me included.

Join the choir, sing it, everybody!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's NOT an emotional support board.

cyjeff

Anytime one person works and the other person gets, the person that works feels it is unfair.

Nice to hear that women feel the same when the tables are turned. Ah, equality.

LdiJ

Eh.
Anyone who's ever paid support to a *nimrod/cheating beyotch/grubbing beast/name your insult* feels that it's "hard." Me included.

Join the choir, sing it, everybody!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's NOT an emotional support board.
I simply meant that knowing that its going to be gone in a heartbeat, because of gambling, would add insult to injury. The property settlement sounded fair.

Bali Hai

So she shouldn't be legally obligated to split the marital property because of what she THINKS might happen??

She's lucky the other attorney didn't demand alimony. Sounds like she would have been paying that too. That would have REALLY pissed her off!!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">