• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeing my children before visitation is determined

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twebman

What is the name of your state? MI

My wife has filed for divorce, and she has moved out and gotten an apartment. We are scheduled to meet with the Friend of the Court on Aug 22, where they will help us agree to a schedule for our two minor children (ages 5 and 3). In the meantime, she has told me I am not to contact her to arrange to see the children, that I should contact her attorney. Must I do this? Since there's no agreement in place with the court, can I just go get my kids?

Please help - this father is at his wit's end!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MI

My wife has filed for divorce, and she has moved out and gotten an apartment. We are scheduled to meet with the Friend of the Court on Aug 22, where they will help us agree to a schedule for our two minor children (ages 5 and 3). In the meantime, she has told me I am not to contact her to arrange to see the children, that I should contact her attorney. Must I do this? Since there's no agreement in place with the court, can I just go get my kids?

Please help - this father is at his wit's end!
I know that its hard, but I would recommend waiting for the mediation. Right now the two of you have equal legal rights, but that means that either of you could keep them from the other. Sure, you could try to pick them up, but if mom says no, what are you going to do? Take them from her forcibly?

You have less than a week to go until mediation...just hang in there.

twebman

Thanks, LdiJ - you're right, it will be hard, but why cause any more grief by confronting her? I can wait until the mediation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">