• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seeking clarity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trubledsoul

What is the name of your state?NY

Embarking on the journey that will be the end of 3 years of struggles in my life. Seeking info on where to acquire proper paperwork to file for a legal seperation. My wife and I have been married for 2 1/2 yrs. and are currently residing in 2 diff. residents. I stopped drinking heavily with the help of counseling and was trying to regain some control over household finances. This lead to many fights between her and I and spilled over into other ave.s of life that had been less important to me in my past mind set. She has threatened me with divorce before and recently has sought custody of the children we have, when our current visiting arrangment has been running more than smooth. Sorry for so long a run-on of details will wrap up for now. Would appreciate haste in feedback on this matter. Sanity of my personal being is faint in this matter at this point.Thank you in advance.

LdiJ

trubledsoul said:
What is the name of your state?NY

Embarking on the journey that will be the end of 3 years of struggles in my life. Seeking info on where to acquire proper paperwork to file for a legal seperation. My wife and I have been married for 2 1/2 yrs. and are currently residing in 2 diff. residents. I stopped drinking heavily with the help of counseling and was trying to regain some control over household finances. This lead to many fights between her and I and spilled over into other ave.s of life that had been less important to me in my past mind set. She has threatened me with divorce before and recently has sought custody of the children we have, when our current visiting arrangment has been running more than smooth. Sorry for so long a run-on of details will wrap up for now. Would appreciate haste in feedback on this matter. Sanity of my personal being is faint in this matter at this point.Thank you in advance.
Your local courthouse would be the best place to find the forms that you need to file for a legal separation. However, you may be duplicating your wife's efforts if she has filed for custody of the children.

Do yourself a favor and get a consult with a local attorney. You don't have to hire one, but consults are usually relatively low cost, and sometimes even free.

trubledsoul

Legal Sep. First

I am under the impression that in ny state we have to file for legal sep. first?
Neither party wants to drag out proceedings any longer than needed. We are in agreement that the end is nigh but, I'm afraid that the longer it is drawn out she may become adverse to the idea and push limits. Does any one know of any possible way to bypasse sep. and go to divorce if possible? NY state :confused: ny

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">