• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking Divorce from an Alcoholic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amagnum37

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have a two part query.

1- My wife is a proven alcoholic who does not want to get an attorney. My motion was filed July 2010 and I have been to court three times with no progress. The judge asked my attorney to submit papers stating that she may be unfit. My wife has been drunk it court and I want to know how things can be move forward more quickly.

2- Is it possible for the court to agree to a motion for me not to responsible for her medical costs associated with her drinking? Note that insurance companies limit days for detox on an annual basis and this results in large out of pocket costs.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have a two part query.

1- My wife is a proven alcoholic who does not want to get an attorney. My motion was filed July 2010 and I have been to court three times with no progress. The judge asked my attorney to submit papers stating that she may be unfit. My wife has been drunk it court and I want to know how things can be move forward more quickly.

2- Is it possible for the court to agree to a motion for me not to responsible for her medical costs associated with her drinking? Note that insurance companies limit days for detox on an annual basis and this results in large out of pocket costs.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
1. The judge asked your attorney to submit papers stating that she may be unfit. So work with your judge to submit those papers. You have an attorney on the case, no one is going to second guess your attorney without having all the facts.

2. In general, she will be responsible for her own medical expenses after the divorce is finalized. She is likely to be responsible for her own out of pocket costs after the date that you filed for divorce, although you'll need to keep the insurance in place until the divorce is final. There are probably some exceptions, but that's the general status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">