• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking a divorce with no marriage certificate.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

searching4help

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I am a MA resident who was married in NH in 2001. When we tried to obtain our marriage certificate we found out that our justice of the peace never filed it. I have a file full of signed affidavits and photographs gathered on the advise of a legal librarian to try to obtain the marriage license but I never got the town to issue us a marriage certificate. Now I am separated from my husband and I want a divorce. I have a few questions. How do I proceed with a divorce with no marriage certificate? and How will this effect child support and alimony? Is there a difference between common law and legal marriage in MA when considering child support and alimony?

Thank you for any information.

Searching:confused:

jumac

i would say this is not going be a do it yourself one. It would be wise to at least talk to a lawyer about this. A quick google serarch say Mass dosn't do command law marriage, and NH only dose for probate stuff. You might also want to fine the justice of the peace who perfered the service and find get the paperwork form him/her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">