• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking Legal Separation - Washington State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisa5598

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I am seeking a legal separation without the cost of an expensive attorney.

I live with my husband in a home we both own. We have 3 children ages 5,7, and 10. We own 3 rental properties on top of our home.

My husband is an alcoholic and verbally abusive. I have asked him to leave the home, but he refuses. I have asked him to agree to sell a rental property to put the $ down on our primary residence as his business has been slow and we are slowly going into debt. He refuses.

How do I go about getting him to leave and agree to sell a property?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I am seeking a legal separation without the cost of an expensive attorney.

I live with my husband in a home we both own. We have 3 children ages 5,7, and 10. We own 3 rental properties on top of our home.

My husband is an alcoholic and verbally abusive. I have asked him to leave the home, but he refuses. I have asked him to agree to sell a rental property to put the $ down on our primary residence as his business has been slow and we are slowly going into debt. He refuses.

How do I go about getting him to leave and agree to sell a property?
**A: the cops can ask him to leave the home. You can afford to hire an expensive attorney.

Lisa5598

**A: the cops can ask him to leave the home. You can afford to hire an expensive attorney.
Unfortunately, the police cannot ask him to leave unless there has been domestic dispute.

I can't afford to hire an expensive attorney.

Thanks for the advice.

mistoffolees

Unfortunately, the police cannot ask him to leave unless there has been domestic dispute.

I can't afford to hire an expensive attorney.
Then hire a cheap attorney. :p

Seriously, if you want out, you're going to need to file for divorce. While it's possible to do that on your own, you are probably better off with an attorney - even if it makes the budget very tight. At least consult with an attorney - since some attorneys will give you one free consultation, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">