• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling house to keep spouse from getting half

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Creid

my wife recently ran off with my best friend, from tennessee to colorado. i'm still in tennessee. neither she nor I have yet filed for divorce. i understand tennessee is a no fault state and everything is split 50/50, but what if i sell my house now before divorce proceedings ever begin? or what if I sell the house for payoff? she can't get half of nothing...

Creid

K

Kelly143

Be careful, the courts may give her half of what the house is WORTH, regardless of how much you sell it for. That is if the house is in both of your names, in which case, she would have to sigh the papers as well as you.

D

dorenephilpot

It's called dissipation of marital assets and doesn't set well w/judges.

If you sell the house and don't give her her rightful portion, then the court will see you as a thief of sorts and sanction you accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">