• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate bank accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diamond20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My husband and I have a joint checking account and joint savings. I also have separate accounts just in my name, a checking and savings where I keep the money that are given to me for safekeeping by a family member. I wanted to know that in case of divorce or separation my husband can demand part of the money (he knows about the accoutns and who they are for but does not know exact amounts or has any access to them). Accounts were open long before I married my current husband and part of the money was deposited before our marriage but other part came in small sums after the marriage.

I am just concerned that money that is not even mine will not be safe in case anything happens to my marriage.

nextwife

Why does that party not have the accounts in their own name? By "safekeeping" do you mean it is being hidden from either creditors, someone's spouse, child support, etc?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My husband and I have a joint checking account and joint savings. I also have separate accounts just in my name, a checking and savings where I keep the money that are given to me for safekeeping by a family member. I wanted to know that in case of divorce or separation my husband can demand part of the money (he knows about the accoutns and who they are for but does not know exact amounts or has any access to them). Accounts were open long before I married my current husband and part of the money was deposited before our marriage but other part came in small sums after the marriage.

I am just concerned that money that is not even mine will not be safe in case anything happens to my marriage.
Then that money needs to get out of your name and back in the name of the person it belongs to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">