• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate & Community property in regards to home equity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

antman488

What is the name of your state? CA

My wife and I have been married 10 years. She bought our home 2 months before we married. I am not on the title and have not been for the duration of our marriage. I had a child suport debt, prior to our marriage, that was paid off by using taking out an equity line 5 years into the marriage. I have been making the payments on that. Since the house would be considered her separate property, once the equity was used to pay off the child support debt, would that constitute an mingling of community property or make the house and any equity built up community property?

Anthony

nextwife

So you are REPAYING her the equity she pulled out of her house to cover YOUR CS obligation and you want to use your payment of the debt, due to YOUR previous failure to pay CS, as a reason to claim equity in her home? Is your name on title?

acmb05

geeez do some of you

Even read the whole post before you go off on your tirades. He plainly stated in the third sentence that he was not on the title.

Know It All

antman488 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My wife and I have been married 10 years. She bought our home 2 months before we married. I am not on the title and have not been for the duration of our marriage. I had a child suport debt, prior to our marriage, that was paid off by using taking out an equity line 5 years into the marriage. I have been making the payments on that. Since the house would be considered her separate property, once the equity was used to pay off the child support debt, would that constitute an mingling of community property or make the house and any equity built up community property?

Anthony

The house and property are already Community Property, since two months after you were married, up to this date. Her separate property is the two months prior to marriage and any down payment money. Since the property has gone up in value, you're entitled to one-half of that revaluation.

People like "acmb05" and "nextwife" have no idea about California Community Property laws.

HomeGuru

Know It All said:
The house and property are already Community Property, since two months after you were married, up to this date. Her separate property is the two months prior to marriage and any down payment money. Since the property has gone up in value, you're entitled to one-half of that revaluation.

People like "acmb05" and "nextwife" have no idea about California Community Property laws.

**A: what? Explain your post.

I

I AM IAAL

HomeGuru said:
**A: what? Explain your post.

Homey, I've discussed and explained Community Property laws for California for the last 5 years. So, in what manner do you need me to explain my response?

antman488

Thanks Know It All, That is essentially what I was told by a lawyer in a recent consultation. However, my wife was told in a consultation that my only interest in the property would be the principal that had been paid off during our marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">