• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate Maintenance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbsanb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
We have been on been on seperate maintenance since aug,06. We moved back in together aug, 07. We have divided our assests which were nothing but custody of our children to 50/50. Now we are or HE is buying a house and we are closing this month. Several mortgage companies before this one told us that my name had to go on the house due to us still being married and not divorced. This company is letting him only put his name on the house?? I have not talked to them at all. 1st question is that, if he lies on his application and puts that he is divorced does that really matter?**************.2nd question is that, if and when one of us do petetion the court to make this a divorce can we change any of the wording of the separation, such as the custody or visitation? Do we go back to court or does our paper work just switch to a say a divorce instead of separate maintenance?

Thank you
Confused in Michigan

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
We have been on been on seperate maintenance since aug,06. We moved back in together aug, 07. We have divided our assests which were nothing but custody of our children to 50/50. Now we are or HE is buying a house and we are closing this month. Several mortgage companies before this one told us that my name had to go on the house due to us still being married and not divorced. This company is letting him only put his name on the house?? I have not talked to them at all. 1st question is that, if he lies on his application and puts that he is divorced does that really matter?**************.2nd question is that, if and when one of us do petetion the court to make this a divorce can we change any of the wording of the separation, such as the custody or visitation? Do we go back to court or does our paper work just switch to a say a divorce instead of separate maintenance?

Thank you
Confused in Michigan
Until the court approves a legal separation or divorce, any terms you agree to are subject to change.

If you're separated with the intent to divorce, why do you care if he could get in trouble for lying on an application? It won't affect you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">