• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separate property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gary496

I live in New Mexico.

Here's the scenario. A couple gets married. The husband has a separate bank account with $100000 before the marriage, and maintains this as a separate account during the marriage. The couple opens a joint bank account at the time of their marriage, into which all paychecks go and all bills are paid. The husband never makes any deposits into his separate bank account during the marriage. Occasionally during the marriage, the husband takes money out of his separate account and puts it into the joint account for community use. This money is spent for community purposes.

Someone told me that since the husband took money out of his separate bank account for community use, if the couple were to divorce then the wife's lawyer could go after half of the husband's separate bank account.

I say this is incorrect, and that taking money out of a separate account does not change the character of the remaining funds in that account from separate to community property.

What do you think?

gary496

Maybe my friend is confusing the money that is transferred into the joint account with the money still remaining in the separate account. :confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Maybe my friend is confusing the money that is transferred into the joint account with the money still remaining in the separate account. :confused:
Could be because the money taken from the separate account and placed in the joint account BECOMES marital property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">