• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

falcon99usa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I purchased my house before marriage, and my wife is not on title. I refinanced my house in April this year and place $35,000 in my checking account. Within 2 weeks I paid off our credit cards total $19,000 in full. Wife filed for a divorce in December. Can I get reimbursement for $19,000 claiming separate property? She is not working and we keep separate accounts.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I purchased my house before marriage, and my wife is not on title. I refinanced my house in April this year and place $35,000 in my checking account. Within 2 weeks I paid off our credit cards total $19,000 in full. Wife filed for a divorce in December. Can I get reimbursement for $19,000 claiming separate property? She is not working and we keep separate accounts.
I take it you did not have a prior agreement about her paying some of this debt, right? Sound like buyer's remorse to me.

falcon99usa

The rest of money $26,000 was invested in purchasing the car and shipping it to Europe to make profit. The profit on car would make the refund to me for paying credit cards bills.The idea was to buy another car after first one is sold, and ship it again to Europe to make profit again. The agreement was verbal only to repay back credit cards payments with profit making on cars. I did purchased the first car and shipped to Europe, but now I do not have the car nor the money. Wife in possesion of the car in Europe, and I don know if the car is still for sale or sold already. The vehicle was purchase through my own business and my wife was employee to handle the sale.

mistoffolees

Did you use marital assets to pay any of the housing expenses? If so, at least some of the house equity (less the amount you brought into the marriage) would be marital and thus refinancing it would not be separate.

If you had never used marital assets (including your salary earned while you were married) to pay any of the housing expenses, you MAY be able to claim that the equity in the house is separate property. It doesn't sound likely, though.

garrula lingua

Google "Moore-Marsden formula" and also research 'forensic accountant 'tracing' separate property'.
CEB (Continuing Education of the Bar) has an excellent soft-bound publication on Family Law issues. Go to your County Law Library & have a good read.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">