• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

separate property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lostinLA

I am currently separated in california. We own a house in both our names that we recently purchased and where I am still living. Is the home still considered "community property" if my wife signs a quit-claim deed such that the house goes into my name alone? Or will the home then become my "separate" property if we do get a divorce?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lostinLA said:
I am currently separated in california. We own a house in both our names that we recently purchased and where I am still living. Is the home still considered "community property" if my wife signs a quit-claim deed such that the house goes into my name alone? Or will the home then become my "separate" property if we do get a divorce?
My response:

Once your wife signs a quit claim deed, the house and property it sits on, will belong to you - - only.

Divorce, by itself, does not make any property "separate property". In the property settlement portion of your litigation, one of you will sign a quit claim deed - - and that's the instrument that makes property separate from the other party.

Just be aware : the quit claim deed does absolutely NOTHING with regard to the mortgage contract. Even though one of you signs a quit claim deed in favor of the other, doesn't mean that the mortgagor won't still look to both parties in the event of a default.

You'll need to refinance the house, or sell it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">